Primary Tasks: The primary function of this position is to drive a tractor trailer, tandem trailer and/ or straight trucks on intrastate and interstate routes for the purpose of delivering and/or unloading various products (meats, produce, frozen foods, groceries, dry goods) for restaurants, delicatessens, hospitals, schools, nursing homes, convenience stores, supermarkets and other food service outlets in a safe and timely manner and in accordance with Department of Transportation regulations.
- Perform pre-trip safety check inspection of truck and trailer according to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
- Inspect cab and trailer to insure they meet company quality standards and take appropriate action as needed.
- Perform count check of items and check customer invoices of products that have been loaded.
- Check and complete in an accurate and in legible fashion all the required paper work associated with freight.
- Move tractor to the loading dock and attach pre-loaded trailer as needed.
- Drive to and deliver customer orders according to a predetermined route and delivery schedule.
- Obtain and set-up conveyor system, check customer order, verify items in trailer and release load locks.
- Unload products from the trailer onto conveyor system and into designated customer storage areas.
- Perform damage control checks on items and contact supervisor about removing orders according to company policy.
- Verify delivery of items with customer and obtain proper signatures. Collect money (cash or checks) where required.
- Load customer returns on to trailer, breakdown and stow roller conveyor system and secure trailer doors.
- Unload damaged goods and customer returns at the driver check-in dock and complete necessary paperwork.
- Complete daily record of hours of service and enter in log in accordance with Federal DOT, state and company requirements.
- Perform post trip safety check on the vehicle, secure tractor and trailer and / or Red Tag repair or maintenance as needed.
- Perform general housekeeping duties in cab, loading dock area and keep trailers clear and clean as required.
- At the end of the shift secure all equipment and complete all necessary paperwork.
General Job Requirements:
- Must read, write, and communicate in English as it relates to the job and to the safety regulations.
- Must be able to perform all job functions safely. Meet company performance standards for the job.
- Must participate in company orientation and training. Must be able to follow instructions.
- Must be able to work the scheduled / assigned times and required overtime for the position.
Required Personal Protective Equipment Tools and Equipment
Gloves Safety shoes Ear protection (where needed) Seat belts Truck / Trailer Emergency air line Fire extinguishers Reflective triangles Tools and Equipment: Replacement lights Hand tools Cell phone Pallets Hand carts Low bars / Load locks5th wheel pull rod Ramps / Roller Convey or Qualifications: Must have Commercial Driver License (CDL)Must meet the medical requirements of the Dept. of Transportation Must have (2) years of commercial driving experience or the equivalent as determined by the company. (verifiable)Must be able to perform coupling procedures for the Tractor/Trailer. Must have the ability to perform Pre / Post trip safety inspection as required by the DOT. Must complete training to operate on-board computer. Must be able to apply tire chains. High School Diploma / GED preferred. Must have basic math skills. (Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide)